Natural Remedies for Acne
Natural Remedies for Acne
Natural Cures for Acne
This is a very common skin condition during puberty, although it may continue into later in life for some people. Increasing levels of hormones during adolescence lead to a greater activity of the skin's sebaceous glands, and if this becomes too great, excessive amounts of sebum, our natural oily skin lubricant, are produced. This in turn can cause the glands and hair follicles to become blocked and infected.
Many essential oils are not only antiseptic but also promote healing or generation of new healthy skin cells. Some of the best are Bergamot, Geranium, Lavender, and Lemon. These may need to be used in varying combinations depending on the state of the skin and the person as a whole. Bergamot, for instance is an effective antidepressant, and this emotional quality may be helpful at times as acne can understandably make the sufferer feel low (adolescence is a time of fluctuating self-esteem at the best of times), and as an astringent, antiseptic oil it is excellent for greasy, infected skin. Do not, however, overuse this oik as it increases the skin's sensitivity to the sun; moderate amounts of sunlight are generally good for drying and healing the skin too. These oils may be used in a light carrier vegetable oil such as Grapeseed, which has a slight astringency of its own, or Coconut, or else mixed into gentle cleansing creams for regular use on the affected areas. Another base might be a toning lotion such as triple distilled Rosewater, Orange Blossom water or perhaps distilled Witch Hazel for extra astringency. Use 1-2 per cent of essential oils in any of these base carriers. If there is much evidence of scarring after the condition has improved use the essential oil in a carrier which includes 10 per cent Wheatgerm oil to promote skin elasticity and healing.
Zap Zits Now
- Benzoyl Peroxide: The first avenue of assault is an over-the-counter cream or gel formulated with benzoyl peroxide. It works by mildly irritating the skin, which encourages drying skin cells to flake off. This helps reopen clogged pores. Benzoyl peroxide also kills the bacteria that infect clogged pores. Peroxide also increases the oxygen around the break out which helps to eat up infection.
- Alpha-hydroxy acids (AHAs), such as glycolic acid, slough off the outermost layer of skin, which helps keep pores clear and unclogged. Opt for a cream, lotion, or gel that contains 8% glycolic acid.
- Ice-Cube: At the first hint of a pimple, wrap an ice cube in a piece of plastic wrap and hold it to the area at least twice a day-every hour, if you can, but no longer than five minutes each time. The cold will reduce the redness and ease the inflammation.
- Aspirin: Pop an aspirin or two. Taking one or two 325-milligram tablet four times a day can help calm an acute outbreak by reducing inflammation. (check with your doctor before taking aspirin regularly.)
Try Alternative Acne Treatments
- Three times a day, dab a drop of tea tree oil on blemishes to discourage infection and speed healing. Research has found that 5% tea-tree oil is as effective against acne as a 5% benzoyl peroxide solution.
- For acne that flares at the time of the month, drink one to two cups of chasteberry tea. Some studies show that this herb helps regulate female hormones. Give the herb two or three months to work. And don't drink copious amounts of the tea to hasten the results-it may make your skin look worse.
- Dab Vinegar or lemon juice on pimples. All vinegars contain acid that can help flush out pores-so does lemon juice.
- An old folk remedy for healing pimples is to use a mixture of spice and honey on them. Combine one teaspoon powdered nutmeg and 1 teaspoon honey, and apply it to the pimple. Leave on for 20 minutes, ten wash off. There's no proof that this helps, but honey does have antiseptic properties.
- Apply Aloe Vera. One study found that 90% of skin sores were completely healed with aloe vera within five days.
- Think ZINC. People with acne tend to have lower than normal zinc levels. Zinc supplements produce visible improvement in about a third of people who take them. You'll need high doses, though- between 200 and 600 milligrams daily- so take it only under your doctor's supervision. Small children and babies should be under a doctors care if experiencing any acne as this may be a form of some other skin issue.
The Power of Prevention
- If you keep skin free of dirt and excess oil- the thinking goes- perhaps your pores will never get clogged. But over-cleansing can cause acne by making your sebaceous glands produce more oil. Forgo granulated cleaners. And avoid washcloths; they are abrasive and can accumulate bacteria if you reuses them. Instead, use a disposable cleansing cloth or facial sponge. Facial scrubs are only bad on your skin with acne if you have large flares ups. The abrasion can cause spread of bacteria and more inflammation. Using a soft cornmeal mixed in your cleanser is a good choice.
- Make a skin-cleansing solution to help clear up blackheads. Add 1 teaspoon of Epsom salt and 3 drops of iodine to one-half cup of water and bring to boil Let COOL. Dip in a clean cotton pad and use it to clean pores.
- Men rinse your razor in alcohol after you use it so any bacteria it harbors won't transfer itself to your face.
To squeeze or Not to Squeeze
if you absolutely, positively must squeeze your blemishes, here's the dermatologist-approved method – and it's only valid for whiteheads.
- Clean the area well.
- Use a disposable lancet
- Gently nick the surface of the pimple. Use a cotton swab to drain it.
- Clean pimple with hydrogen peroxide.
To extract a blackhead use an extractor of your fingers with tissue. Soften blackheads and whiteheads with warm water.
Easy Related Posts
Natural Flu Remedies
More properly known as influenza, flu is a viral disease of the upper respiratory tract, ...read more
5 Natural Ways to Remove Age Spots
These natural remedies for removing age spots work really well for most people. The best ...read more
Get rid of Cold Sores Naturally
Cold Sores painful, annoying and downright lame when they pop up. A virus herpes simplex, ...read more
Make Your Own Healing and Cooling Lip Balm and Gloss
This lip treatment is rich, soothing, ultra cooling, and especially good for lips that are ...read more