Cure a Hangover Naturally
Cure a Hangover Naturally
Steps to getting rid of that terrible hangover naturally
When you wake up after a night of indulgence feeling worse than death warmed over, take the following five steps.
- Drink two 8-ounce glasses of 100 percent fruit juice mixed with a spoonful of honey and a dash of salt, or the same amount of a sports drink like Gatorade.
- Drink a cup of coffee or tea.
- Draw a warm bath, adding a handful of sea salt or Epsom salt and 10 drops peppermint essential oils. Star Soaking.
- Eat a piece of toast.
- Take two aspirin or ibuprofen.
Preventing the Hangover
- Know when to stop. For most men, that means no more than one drink an hour; for women, no more than half a drink per hour ( a "drink" is 1 ounce of liquor, 5 ounces of wine, or 12 ounces of beer). Stop drinking after four hours.
- Steer clear of sugary tropical mixed drinks such as pina coladas. You're more likely to drink them too fast.
- Drink one glass of sparkling water, seltzer or sports drink for every alcoholic drink. it slows your drinking and prevents dehydration and electrolyte depletion.
- Nibble some cheese or crackers to coat your stomach before you start drinking. This slows the entrance of alcohol into your bloodstream.
- Drink purer forms of alcohol. Certain types of alcohol, including bourbon, whisky, brandy, and other colored hard liquors, contain congeners, impurities that trigger hangover. So stick with clear liquors, such as vodka. Also limit your consumption of red wine, which contains tyramine, a histamine-like substance that triggers headaches.
- Take 175 milligrams milk thistle standardized extract (such as the brand Legalon) three times daily for three days leading up to a big event. It raises levels of detoxifying enzymes in the liver and improves liver function, helping your body process alcohol more quickly.
- Take 800-1600 IU prickly pear 2 to 5 hours before drinking. One study of 64 people who took supplement before drinking found they had less nausea, dry mouth, and hangover symptoms than a control group. Overall, they slashed their risk of a severe hangover in half. The supplement is thought to work by reducing levels of inflammation.
- Take B6 vitamins – Alcohol drains the body of B vitamins – especially B6. Studies find that quickly replacing it may reduce a hangover. Take 400 milligrams of B6 when you wake up. (If you know you're going to indulge, take 400 milligrams before your first drinking, 400 milligrams after three hours of drinking, and 400 milligrams at the end of the party to halve your risk of hangover.)
- Nux vomica 6C or 12C. This homeopathic remedy, from the bitter-tasting seeds of the poison nut plant, helps quell nausea and soothe an upset stomach. Take three tablets every 30 minutes for 4 to 6 hours until your symptoms subside.
- Lime and Baking Soda – Ayurvedic medicine holds that hangovers are caused by an excess of pitta, one of three "dosha" that govern bodily processes. The following drink helps balance pitta )plus, it contains sugar, potassium, and salt for fast rehydration along with lime juice to reduce blood acidity). Mix 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice, 1/4 teaspoon sugar, a pinch of salt, and 1/2 teaspoon baking soda into 8 ounces water and drink
Easy Related Posts
4 Natural Cures for Stuffy Nose
Its that time of year again, sniff, sniff. A stuffy nose develops when delicate tissue ...read more
Yoga for Back Pain
There are a number of natural remedies available to treat lower back pain. The therapeutic ...read more
5 Natural Ways to Remove Age Spots
These natural remedies for removing age spots work really well for most people. The best ...read more
Natural Dry Skin Remedies for Winter Itchy Skin
During the winter months, the skin looses moisture easily. Here are our top 5 tips ...read more