3 Most Vital Alternative Medicine Therapies for Edema/Swelling
Edema is swelling or puffiness of tissues due to fluid retention. It is an obvious physical symptom of a number of disorders including kidney disease, heart failure, and cirrhosis of the liver. Edema may also occur as a result of injury (where the injured blood vessels are made more water-permeable) and changes in hormonal levels (before menstruation, during pregnancy, or through the use of oral contraceptives).
Edema may be accompanied by weight gain and breathing difficulties.
Aromatherapy to Treat Edema/Swelling
- Essential oils of Rosemary, Lavender, and Geranium will help to reduce bloating and discourage depression.
- Rub a little Cedarwood, Fennel, Rosemary, or Sandalwood oils, blended in a light carrier oil, into the areas most affected, or in a whole body massage to have an overall diuretic effect.
Homeopathy for Treating Edema/Swelling
- Arsenicum, when the feet and ankles are swollen, and you feel restless and chilly.
- Apis, for swelling accompanying inflammation, with stinging pains that become worse in heat.
- Nat, mur., for swelling in hot weather or in hot rooms.
Chinese Herbalism for Edema/Swelling
- The problem is thought to be due to excess water and Kidney Deficiency; useful Ginseng, Water plantain, Poria, Cinnamon twigs, and Ephedra.
- Wu Ling San pills tonify the Spleen Yang to move water and resolve edema, particularly edema of the lower abdomen.
- Jin Gui Shen Qi Wan tonifies the Kidney Yang to resolve edema, particularly of the lower legs.
BONUS: Traditional Home and Folk Remedies for Healing Edema/Swelling
- Evening Primrose oil, taken in capsule form daily, can help to prevent water retention.
- Swelling can be relieved by eating plenty of fresh apples.
- Celery is also a good diuretic, and acts on the kidneys to encourage their action.
- Eat fresh grapes to prevent bloating.
Easy Related Posts
Get rid of Cold Sores Naturally
Cold Sores painful, annoying and downright lame when they pop up. A virus herpes simplex, ...read more
Natural Treatments for Nosebleeds in Children
Children get nosebleeds from time to time. Dry air, allergies or colds can be common ...read more
Apple Cider Vinegar to Treat Asthma Naturally
Inflammation and oversensitivity of airways causes wheezing, coughing and a tight chest. possible triggers include ...read more
Hangover Facts – Natural Remedies for Hangovers
Hangovers - we have all had them and they affect people in so many different ...read more