3 Most Vital Alternative Medicine Therapies for Edema/Swelling
Edema is swelling or puffiness of tissues due to fluid retention. It is an obvious physical symptom of a number of disorders including kidney disease, heart failure, and cirrhosis of the liver. Edema may also occur as a result of injury (where the injured blood vessels are made more water-permeable) and changes in hormonal levels (before menstruation, during pregnancy, or through the use of oral contraceptives).
Edema may be accompanied by weight gain and breathing difficulties.
Aromatherapy to Treat Edema/Swelling
- Essential oils of Rosemary, Lavender, and Geranium will help to reduce bloating and discourage depression.
- Rub a little Cedarwood, Fennel, Rosemary, or Sandalwood oils, blended in a light carrier oil, into the areas most affected, or in a whole body massage to have an overall diuretic effect.
Homeopathy for Treating Edema/Swelling
- Arsenicum, when the feet and ankles are swollen, and you feel restless and chilly.
- Apis, for swelling accompanying inflammation, with stinging pains that become worse in heat.
- Nat, mur., for swelling in hot weather or in hot rooms.
Chinese Herbalism for Edema/Swelling
- The problem is thought to be due to excess water and Kidney Deficiency; useful Ginseng, Water plantain, Poria, Cinnamon twigs, and Ephedra.
- Wu Ling San pills tonify the Spleen Yang to move water and resolve edema, particularly edema of the lower abdomen.
- Jin Gui Shen Qi Wan tonifies the Kidney Yang to resolve edema, particularly of the lower legs.
BONUS: Traditional Home and Folk Remedies for Healing Edema/Swelling
- Evening Primrose oil, taken in capsule form daily, can help to prevent water retention.
- Swelling can be relieved by eating plenty of fresh apples.
- Celery is also a good diuretic, and acts on the kidneys to encourage their action.
- Eat fresh grapes to prevent bloating.