Eight Ways To Eat More Veggies
1. When you make a sandwich or burger, load up on the veggies. Sliced tomatoes, shredded cabbage, peppers, cucumbers, onions, and dark greens are all perfect toppers.
2. Top homemade pizza with zucchini or squash slices, fresh spinach, mushrooms, onions, peppers, broccoli florets, shredded carrots, and fresh tomato slices.
3. Add extra fresh or frozen veggies to your favorite pasta sauce, chili, lasagna, casserole or stew.
4. Enjoy a bowl of minestrone or vegetable soup. In the summer, make gazpacho or cold cucumber soup.
5. Supplement take – out or frozen dinners with extra vegetables. When eating out, order extra vegetables as a side dish or a side salad or grilled vegetables as an appetizer.
6. Cut favorite vegetables into snack-size pieces. Store then in clear plastic containers and make sure they are the first thing you see when you open the fridge.
7. For convenience, shop for cut-up, cleaned, and ready – to-eat fresh vegetables.
8. For best value and top nutrition, buy in season. Get to know the produce manager at the store. He can tell you which is freshest and what to look for when choosing specific vegetables.