Healthy Snack Food Tips Minus GMO’s
Healthy Snack Food Tips Minus GMO's
Many snack foods contain ingredients acquired from the Big Four genetically engineered crops. These ingredients may comprise a large part of the food, like the corn in corn chips, or they may play a more minor role, like the soy lecithin in a cookie. Snack foods, because of their many ingredients, can seem like a minefield of GE products. Fortunately, there are GE-free options.
QUICK HINTS- CONVENTIONAL
- Look for snacks made from wheat, rice, or oats, along with other non-GE ingredients.
- Nuts and seends (such as peanuts and sunflower seeds) and dried fruits (such as raisins) are good GE-free options.
- Watch out for non-organic snacks that contain corn, soy, canola, cottonseed, or any of their dericatives; these tend to be found as oils, sweeteners, and preservatives.
- Snacks labeled "natural" are not necessarily GE-free".
- Buy snack foods labeled or similarly identified as "certified organic", "GMO-free", or "Made with out genetically engineered ingredients".