Raw Food Basics – Nuts and Seeds
Look for these 14 Nuts and Seeds ingredients in any health food store bulk food area. These raw foods are best purchased organically and are wonderful sources of protein.
ALMONDS. NUTS AND SEEDS
Nuts and seeds are rich in nutrients and there are manu different kinds to choose from. Always buy raw and unsalted nuts and seeds. Store the nuts in refrigerator so they won’t go bad. Seeds gives us energy, are easier to digest than nuts, and they contain less fat.
- Almonds aren’t technically a nut, they are a pit from a stone fruit. Rich in nutrients.
- Hazelnuts – are grown primarily in Turkey. A brown spot in the center means the nut is old. Two ounces a day of hazelnuts meets the recommended dietary allowance for vitamin E intake.
- Pistachios have a more mild taste when they aren’t roasted. Raw pistachios are now commonly available in grocery stores.
- Cashews aren’t really raw because the shell is steamed in order to get the nut out. But we eat them anyway, for nutrition and taste’s sake.
- Walnuts have a high content of healthy omega-3 fats. They also contain tryptophan which helps calm us down when we are stressed out or upset.
- Pine nuts are the edible seeds of pine trees, from pine cones. Best know for being used in pesto sauce.
- Brazil nuts contain selenium that is hard for us to find in other foods because many soils lack sufficient selenium. The soil is rich in selenium in Brazil, where this nut primarily comes from.
- Macadamia nuts are getting easier to find raw. Compared with other nuts, they have more fat and less protein. Included in severa recipes because of their soft texture and buttery flavor.
- Sunflower Seeds are very versatile and can be eaten for breakfast, dinner and dessert. Rich in polyunsaturated fats, vitamin E, calcium, potassium, iron, and zinc.
- Pumpkin seeds are rich in zinc, which helps our skin itself. A zinc deficiency can lead to a lowered sex drive; more pumpkin seeds in your diet can help.
- Sesame seeds, light and dark – should always be bought unshelled because they are more nutritious; also hulled sesame seeds aren’t raw because they are heated in order to remove the shell. The darker sesame seeds are most nutritious but can be harder to find. Good source of healthy fats, iron and calcium.
- Flax seeds, brown and gold are rich in omega-3 and -6 fats, but they need to be ground in order for us to assimilate the fats. Do it yourself with a coffee grinder, instead of buying ground flax seeds from the store, to ensure their freshness. Flax seeds have a laxative effect. For best results, take 2 tablespoons a day.
- Buckwheat, shelled and whole is a plant, and therefor gluten free. It is rich in protein and works well as a base ingredient in vegetable and fruit salads.
Easy Related Posts
Get rid of Cold Sores Naturally
Cold Sores painful, annoying and downright lame when they pop up. A virus herpes simplex, ...read more
Natural Treatments for Nosebleeds in Children
Children get nosebleeds from time to time. Dry air, allergies or colds can be common ...read more
Apple Cider Vinegar to Treat Asthma Naturally
Inflammation and oversensitivity of airways causes wheezing, coughing and a tight chest. possible triggers include ...read more
Hangover Facts – Natural Remedies for Hangovers
Hangovers - we have all had them and they affect people in so many different ...read more