Natural Remedy to Rid Head Lice
With up to 8-0 percent of head lice now resistant to conventional treatments, the hunt is on for an effective and safe insecticide to treat nits – the tiny eggs that are notoriously hard to eradicate. This natural recipe, free of organophosphates, uses plant extracts with known insecticidal properties to kill both lice and the nits.
Neem Nit Treatment
Makes enough for 5-10 doses
20 tbsp (approx. 100g) fresh rosemary leaves
20 tbsp (approx. 25g) fresh lavender leaves
3/4 cup (200 ml) neem oil
3/4 cup (200 ml) almond oil
6 garlic cloves, minced
2 tbsp tea tree essential oil
1. Strip the rosemary leaves and lavender flowers from their sprigs.
2. Combine the neem and almond oil together in a measuring cup.
3. Crush half the rosemary and lavender in a mortal and pestle with a little of the oil to help ease the crushing process. Place the mashed-up herbs in a saucepan. Repeat with the second half of the rosemary and lavender, again adding a little oil for crushing.
4. Place the crushed herbs and the neem and almond oil in the pan, and add the minced garlic. heat gently for about 20 minutes.
5. Strain through a sieve lined with cheesecloth. Add the tea tree oil to the reserved oil, stir, then filter into a sterilized 1/2 pint (500 ml) bottle.
Use: If using immediately, apply to dry hair, making sure that the hair is completely to the scalp. Cover with a towel and leave on for at least 1 hour, or overnight if possible. Then wash off with two applications of shampoo. Apply conditioner, and comb through with a nit comb. Use the next application 7 days later, to deal with any nits that may hatch during that time. Comb through with the nit comb every three days.
Storage: Keeps for 6 months.
Easy Related Posts
Get rid of Cold Sores Naturally
Cold Sores painful, annoying and downright lame when they pop up. A virus herpes simplex, ...read more
Natural Treatments for Nosebleeds in Children
Children get nosebleeds from time to time. Dry air, allergies or colds can be common ...read more
Apple Cider Vinegar to Treat Asthma Naturally
Inflammation and oversensitivity of airways causes wheezing, coughing and a tight chest. possible triggers include ...read more
Hangover Facts – Natural Remedies for Hangovers
Hangovers - we have all had them and they affect people in so many different ...read more