Red Potato Salad
Red Potato Salad
Potato salad isn’t just for picnics – this sophisticated version can be used as a side dish for even the fanciest meal. Instead of mayonnaise, we use mustard and wine combined with vinegar and a moderate amount of olive oil. The result is a sharply flavored mix for the potatoes. Small red potatoes – also called new potatoes – are better suited for this dish because they have a firmer texture after boiling than the commonly used russets or baking potatoes. Remember to remove any sprouts before cooking. If you find very small red potatoes, you can leave the skin on and cut them in half.
Food as Medicine
An analysis by the USDA’s Agricultural Research Service found that the levels of phenolic compounds (which provide antioxidant protection and other health benefits) in red potatoes rivals the levels found in some vegetables that are traditionally regarded as nutrition powerhouses, including broccoli, spinach and Brussels sprouts.
1 1/2 pounds red potatoes, organic if possible
1. Boil potatoes in their skins, covered, just until they can be easily pierced with a sharp knife.
2. Meanwhile, prepare dressing in a jar, combining mustard, vermouth, vinegar, olive oil, salt and pepper to taste; shake well.
3. Drain potatoes, let cool enough to handle, then peel and cut into thick slices. Place in a large bowl.
4. Pour dressing over the potatoes while they are warm, tossing well.
5. Add chopped onion, sliced celery, capers, finely chopped parsley, dill and, if you like, other chopped vegetables (red bell pepper, radish).
6. Correct seasoning. Chill until served.
7. If desired, you can toss in lightly cooked fresh green beans as a good last-minute addition.
Easy Related Posts
Vanilla Honey Dry Lips Recovery Balm
This rich and soothing balm can be used year-round as it doubles as a mild ...read more
Apple Cider Vinegar for Healing Bruises on Dry Lips
Bruises are associated with the leaking of blood from tiny blood vessels. Applying a solution ...read more
New Year Detox Juicing Recipe
Clean Sweep This juice is so packed with goodness, you can almost feel it cleansing and ...read more
Party Pumpkin Pie Cocoa
This recipe is a great one for parties or just a fun Friday night at ...read more