Alternative Medicine Treatments for OCD – Obsessive Compulsive Disorder
An Obsession is a persistent, recurring thought or idea while a compulsion is an overwhelming drive to perform a particular act. When a person becomes dominated by these intrusions, despite knowing that they are irrational, he or she is said to be suffering from an obsessive-compulsive disorder. This may take the form of hand-washing ritual, for example, or repeated checking that doors and windows are locked. The problem is often triggered by a stressful life event, but can also be due to subtle brain damage (usually the result of illness affecting the brain), especially when due to encephalitis. Obsessive-compulsive disorder is rare, although minor obsessional symptoms occur in about 15 percent of the population. At least two-thirds of all people who have obsessive-compulsive disorder respond well to therapy. Symptoms may recur under stress but can usually be controlled. There are many Alternative Medicine Therapies that obsessive-compulsive disorder can be treated with. Keep in mind there are many different levels of OCD and many more Alternative therapies not discussed here that may help with this disorder also.
Herbalism for OCD-Obsessive-compulsive disorder
Drink certain infused herbs which act on the nervous system, including hops, valerian, vervain, chamomile, and passiflora. Taken on a regular basis, these herbs may help restrict various behavioral problems.
Aromatherapy for OCD-Obsessive-compulsive disorder
Relaxing oils, such as Roman chamomile or marjoram may help to achieve balance. Use regularly in the bath or on a burner in your room.
Homeopathy for OCD-Obsessive-compulsive disorder
- Aurum is useful for feelings of worthlessness and overwhelming thoughts of death and dying.
- Silicea for unshakable feelings of inadequacy, and an overwhelming urge to count small objects.
- Take Anacardium when you feel that your mind is not your own and being controlled by an external force.
Flower Essences for OCD-Obsessive-compulsive disorder
- Cherry Plum, for the fear of losing your mind, and to deal with irrational thoughts or behavior.
- Crab Apple, for those who feel unclear or polluted on any level
- Vervain, for those who are strong-willed and need space for reflection
- White Chestnut, for an overactive mind, full of unwanted patterns of thought