Pasta e Fagioli
Pasta e Fagioli
This traditional pasta and white bean soup is an Italian classic. Be sure to cook the pasta until just al dente, keeping it a bit chewy or “toothsome.” It makes a wonderful supper when served with a large tossed salad of romaine lettuce with red peppers, olives and sliced cucumbers and a dessert of plump dried fruit and roasted almonds.
Food as Medicine
A substance in onions known as allyl propyl disulfide has been shown to lower blood glucose levels. It probably does this by competing with insulin – which is also a disulfide – to occupy sites on the liver that inactivate insulin production. This means that more free insulin is available in the bloodstream to take glucose into cells, thus lowering blood sugar.
1 cup dried small white beans
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
6 cloves garlic, minced
10 cups water or vegetable stock
1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
1 cup small pasta, such as orzo or small shells
Salt and black pepper to taste
2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
Additional extra-virgin olive oil (optional)
1. Wash the beans. In a large pot, cover them with cold water. Soak for 8 hours. Drain into a colander.
2. In the same pot, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat, add the onion and garlic, and sauté until soft.
3. Add the beans and water or stock. Cover and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low, add the rosemary, and simmer 2 hours or until the beans are tender.
4. Raise heat to high, add the pasta, and cook until al dente.
5. Season the soup to taste with salt and pepper, garnish with the chopped parsley. Serve accompanied by grated Parmesan cheese and the optional extra-virgin olive oil.
Nutrients Per Serving
Protein: 22.2 grams
Fat: 6.0 grams
Saturated Fat: 2.7 grams
Monounsat Fat: 2.4 grams
Polyunsat Fat: 0.5 grams
Carbohydrate: 44.2 grams
Fiber: 9.7 grams
Easy Related Posts
Vanilla Honey Dry Lips Recovery Balm
This rich and soothing balm can be used year-round as it doubles as a mild ...read more
Apple Cider Vinegar for Healing Bruises on Dry Lips
Bruises are associated with the leaking of blood from tiny blood vessels. Applying a solution ...read more
New Year Detox Juicing Recipe
Clean Sweep This juice is so packed with goodness, you can almost feel it cleansing and ...read more
Party Pumpkin Pie Cocoa
This recipe is a great one for parties or just a fun Friday night at ...read more