Lentils are a staple in Middle Eastern and Indian cooking and make a thick, rich and delicious soup. They’re also a good source of fiber and magnesium and the quickest legume to cook. With bread and a salad, this soup makes a whole meal. On a cold night, a filling soup like this is perfect nourishment for warming body and soul.
1 pound lentils
1 bay leaf
3 large carrots, peeled and sliced
2 stalks celery, chopped
1 large onion, chopped
2 cups crushed tomatoes (fresh or canned)
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
Vinegar (red wine, cider or balsamic, optional)
1. Pick over lentils to remove any stones, dirt, or other foreign objects. Rinse them well in cold water and place in a large pot with enough cold water to cover lentils by 6 inches. Add the bay leaf.
2. Bring to a boil, skim off foam, lower heat, and boil gently, partially covered, until lentils are just tooth-tender, 20-30 minutes.
3. Add carrots, celery, and onion to the lentils. Cook partially covered till carrots are tender, about 20-30 minutes.
4. Add crushed tomatoes, olive oil, and salt and pepper to taste. Simmer, partially covered, until lentils become very creamy and soft. Stir occasionally and add boiling water if necessary to prevent sticking.
5. Remove bay leaf before serving. If you like, stir in a little vinegar just before serving.
Nutrients Per Serving
Protein: 8.1 grams
Fat: 5.8 grams
Saturated Fat: 0.8 grams
Monounsat Fat: 3.8 grams
Polyunsat Fat: 0.8 grams
Carbohydrate: 25.2 grams
Fiber: 8.7 grams
Cholesterol: 0.0 mg
Vitamin A: 8,600.9 IU
Vitamin E: 1.3 mg/IU
Vitamin C: 14.9 mg
Calcium: 61.9 mg
Magnesium: 44.2 mg
Easy Related Posts
Vanilla Honey Dry Lips Recovery Balm
This rich and soothing balm can be used year-round as it doubles as a mild ...read more
Apple Cider Vinegar for Healing Bruises on Dry Lips
Bruises are associated with the leaking of blood from tiny blood vessels. Applying a solution ...read more
New Year Detox Juicing Recipe
Clean Sweep This juice is so packed with goodness, you can almost feel it cleansing and ...read more
Party Pumpkin Pie Cocoa
This recipe is a great one for parties or just a fun Friday night at ...read more